Sunday 6 February 2011

It is always important to reflect back on my movement and see where I need to improve - this is how I will develop as a dance artist. Taking the idea from the Siobhan Davies Archive, http://www.siobhandaviesreplay.com/, I am trying to record myself moving as much as possible - This really helps my development and it has been quite surprising what I have found out about myself!!

Observations of a Siobhan Davies piece:

Looking through the Siobhan Davies Replay archive, I was able to compile a 'scrapbook' of pieces of work I found interesting. This included videos showing studio improvisations during rehearsal as well as final filmed performances to an audience. I already had a connection to a couple of the pieces, such as 'Wyoming' and 'Bird Song' having studied them previously, but it was fascinating to see the huge range of works that I had never seen before and read about the stimuli for each of them.
What interested me most about the archive was not watching the final performances but rather watching the rehearsals in the studio space. There is something very appealing and special about seeing snippets of the raw movement that ultimately ends up in a full length performance. One rehearsal video I saw used thin plastic rods attached to the costume of the artist, which bent as she moved them and created some truly beautiful shapes around her body, framing her as she moved and manipulated them.

No comments:

Post a Comment