Saturday 29 January 2011

'Paper Portraits' 3

This week we explored the idea of the sculpture of the body - in a very literal sense!

We first rolled and bound ourselves up in a large roll of paper. We then explored the movement possibilities in this state, investigating and discovering how the paper restricted or influenced our movement and how it moved around us...

The paper eventually began to tear and fall apart around us... As it did though, it made some fascinating costumes, as parts of the paper fell away while others remained...

Some thoughts while witnessing...

body parts appearing and disappearing

stillness

dead body

bed, safety, comfort

three-dimensional statue

cocoon, chrysallis

emerging

ripping

escaping



Some thoughts while exploring...

I thought initially that I would feel claustrophobic inside the paper - bound up really tight without being able to see, I was therefore a bit apprehensive!
However, once I started rolling I really enjoyed it and found it comforting the have the paper around me...
The whole experience inside the paper was a lot lighter and more giving than I thought it would be and I really got into exploring the movement possible in this 'sculptural costume'...
I didn't want to finish or leave my paper costume!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment