Monday 25 February 2013

FMP continued thoughts...

For my FMP, inspired by the work of sculptural and visual artists including Richard Long and Simon Whitehead, I have begun to play around with the notion of active walking and in particular the counting of steps.

I want to be able to create an installation piece based around my experiences of walking through different locations/spaces. This idea of taking something intangible and ephemeral and subjective and transforming it into something visual and substantial. I therefore began experimenting with string that I had used on my previous film project, transforming it into something structural and representative of my experience - the resulting structures can be seen below!

In my recent excursion down to the Jurassic Coast in Devon I was able to walk a coastal pathway from the harbour town of Beer to the village of Branscombe. This walk lasted about an hour and consisted of 7436 steps. This is the first walk that I feel able to transform into something lasting that I can use in my final project. I think it was the overwhelming presence of the natural landscape coupled with the excitement of being somewhere unknown that made this walk truly special. This is a factor I would like to continue to explore in my next walks...

No comments:

Post a Comment